This year’s AGM was on Saturday 20th May 2023
The details are here AGM 2023
Our reverse Archimedes screw turbine (known as Archie) is located at the confluence of two rivers, the Sett and the Goyt. Since he started generating in the summer of 2008, Archie has produced over 1,694 MWh of clean, green electricity that is sent directly to the nearby Co-op supermarket. Any surplus is fed into the National Grid.
- Power produced in March 2023: 21,587 kWh
- Total power produced to end March 2023: 1,694.4 MWh
- Carbon saved so far: over 400 metric tonnes* *based on the current average for the National Grid of 236 g/kWh (electricityinfo.org)
Torrs Hydro New Mills Limited
Torrs Hydro New Mills Limited is a Community Benefit Society incorporated in 2007. We are collectively and democratically owned by its members, and it is thanks to our members’ investment in withdrawable, community shares (i.e. very distinct from the transferable shares of a private or public company), as well as some grant funding, that the capital was raised to build the plant.
Back in 2007 we were almost unique in raising community share capital.
Learn more about the society, including the Annual Reports that describe important events in each year and each year’s Financial Report.
Torrs Hydro is an example of the power of communities to take action and begin to address the challenges that climate change presents to us all. We are a community owned and community funded organisation.
Torrs Hydro is run entirely by volunteers. Amongst them are engineers, health and safety specialists, teachers, community workers, computer whizz kids etc, etc, basically just ordinary folk with a passion for green technology. Do you have time to spare to help Archie?
- The daily checks on the site
- Work parties to unblock and clean up Archie
- Show organised groups around the site (mostly Monday to Friday)
- The administration of our Community Benefit Society
If you are interested please contact the Secretary – email@example.com