Our reverse Archimedes screw turbine (known as Archie) is located at the confluence of two rivers, the Sett and the Goyt. Since he started generating in the summer of 2008, Archie has produced over 1,375 MWh of clean, green electricity that is sent directly to the nearby Co-op supermarket. Any surplus is fed into the National Grid.
- Total power produced to end Dec 2020: 1,433.8 MWh
- Power generated in 2019/20 financial yr: 136,113 kWh
- Power produced in Dec 2020: 25,852 kWh
Torrs Hydro New Mills Limited
Torrs Hydro New Mills Limited is a Community Benefit Society incorporated in 2007. Learn more about the company, including the Annual Reports that describe important events in each year and each year’s Financial Report.
Torrs Hydro is an example of the power of communities to take action and begin to address the challenges that climate change presents to us all. We are a community owned and community funded organisation.
Torrs Hydro is run entirely by volunteers. Amongst them are engineers, health and safety specialists, teachers, community workers, computer whizz kids etc, etc, basically just ordinary folk with a passion for green technology. Do you have time to spare to help Archie?
- The daily checks on the site
- Work parties to unblock and clean up Archie
- Show organised groups around the site (mostly Monday to Friday)
- The administration of our Community Benefit Society (the company structure we use)
If you are interested please contact the Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org